ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Git practices [Was: Development process]
Date Thu, 07 May 2015 21:10:25 GMT
Another bit that confuses me a lot is the fact that there's no "master" branch
in this project. It is very hard for a layman to find where to start and what
to use. Anyone with even a rudimentary git experience is normally to start
looking at the master branch: try to build it, run tests on it, etc.

I got a private chat from a new user, who's looking to start contributing to
the project but couldn't even get past running tests on master. And indeed,
the master is two month behind.

Another problem this model possesses is that there's no common point to
branch-off release branches when the time comes. Hence, making maintenance
releases would be quite a bit of hassle. It might be less problematic now as
we go in the straight line, but later it could be a necessity to supplant
fixes for older release.

Once again, I'd like to propose to consider this git branching model
which proved to be very clean and development friendly in multiple projects
I've used it at. I am happy to have a video call with anyone who wants to
discuss it p2p any further.

Thoughts?
  Cos