ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: automatic patch validation on TC
Date Tue, 19 May 2015 17:53:00 GMT
Here's two reasons why current approach is secure enough (and in fact has
been used for some time on Apache build infrastructure):

- only project contributors can manipulate JIRA: attaching, changing
  state, etc. Don't we trust our contributors?
- if TC agents aren't running as privileged user - and they shouldn't be -
  malicious code won't do any harm to the system.

Thoughts?
  Cos

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 04:47PM, Yakov Zhdanov wrote:
> Guys,
>
> It seems we need to stop any activity in this direction.
>
> I have just realized that automatic patch validation (at least in its form
> we agreed on) opens a huge security hole - anyone who attaches a patch to
> JIRA can execute literally any code (!) on our public TC -
> java/bash/binary/built-in OS/etc. Should I continue on what this can lead
> to? I think no.
>
> So, the only acceptable way is to assign committer to review a patch
> manually and then submit it to TC.
>
> Process in my view should be the following:
>
> 1. Contributor finishes with the task and attaches a patch to JIRA issue.
> 2. Committer picks up the issue and reviews the changes.
> 3. If changes are OK, committer submits them to TC in a separate branch.
> 4. After TC passes committer merges the changes to the target sprint branch.
> 5. JIRA issue gets closed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Yakov

> > Sergey and I had a good Skype call and everything seems to be resolved. The
> > installed jira-cli tools work just fine http://bit.ly/1c2qmeH
> >
> > Attachments and comments do not need to be fetched using jira-cli. The
> > proposed workflow for the automatic patching is explained at the bottom of
> >     dev-tools/src/main/groovy/jiraslurp.groovy
> > please let me know if there are any questions about it.
> >
> > Sergey will see to make sure that we have parameterized builds, which will
> > be
> > triggered from the groovy script above. In fact, that is the last thing
> > that
> > is blocking the completion of this task. Looks like our off-line
> > conversation
> > with him helped to get the ball rolling!
> >
> > Cos
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 12:45PM, Yakov Zhdanov wrote:
> > > Cos,
> > >
> > > Does cli works on your local machine?
> > >
> > > Can you check if our JIRA allows remote API calls -> "Go to
> > Administration
> > > -> General Configuration and ensure Accept remote API calls in ON"?
> > >
> > > Sergey tried it locally and it just hangs.
> > >

> > > --Yakov

> > side.
> > (not
> > set.