ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuring ignite
Date Fri, 01 May 2015 01:49:56 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 8:35 PM, Ognen Duzlevski <ognen.duzlevski@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrakyan@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I think the best way is to write it up here, and one of us will publish
> it
> > on the official documentation site.
> >

> I remember when I was starting out with Spark, they had a page (still do)
> addressing tuning, configuring, tweaking a Spark install. Overall, I feel
> that there is plenty of knowledge in the current Ignite docs, it's just
> written with the assumption that people who are reading the docs are also
> the Ignite developers ;)
>
> For example, I asked the question about which ports need to be open on a
> network in EC2 and someone was nice enough to answer. I later found the
> answer myself here: http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/network-config
>
> However, the information in the above-referenced page did not "connect with
> me" until I got the reply on the list.
>
> Similarly - I just realized that if you start a cache with .withAsync() and
> later call containsKey() on it with a key that I know exists in the cache,
> the containsKey() will return false. This, in turn, has caused me to
> overwrite the value associated with the key instead of appending to the
> value. To make matters more confusing, if a cache is started with
> withAsync() and then you obtain a reference to the same, existing cache by
> not using withAsync() the containsKey() will work as expected (return true
> in my case). This is because the withAsync() applies to the current "user"
> of the cache, not to the way the cache was created by the original creator.
> VERY confusing! ;)

I have updated the javadoc for the withAsync() method in ignite-sprint-4
branch: Gets instance of this component with asynchronous mode enabled.

I have also updated the documentation:
http://apacheignite.gridgain.org/v1.0/docs/async-support#igniteasyncsupport

> I am willing to spend the time and write as much documentation as
> necessary. I have many years of experience under my belt, mostly in C but I
> made the leap to Scala a while ago. I am willing to learn the Java
> necessary to get involved by writing code but for starters I am happy to
> just write docs too.

This will be greatly appreciated. Is there a particular area where you
would like to start?

Also, it would be great for the community and users if you could create a
few blogs about your experiences with Ignite as well.