ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ognen Duzlevski <ognen.duzlev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Configuring ignite
Date Fri, 01 May 2015 01:35:25 GMT
On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 7:59 PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrakyan@apache.org>
wrote:

> I think the best way is to write it up here, and one of us will publish it
> on the official documentation site.

I remember when I was starting out with Spark, they had a page (still do)
addressing tuning, configuring, tweaking a Spark install. Overall, I feel
that there is plenty of knowledge in the current Ignite docs, it's just
written with the assumption that people who are reading the docs are also
the Ignite developers ;)

For example, I asked the question about which ports need to be open on a
network in EC2 and someone was nice enough to answer. I later found the
answer myself here: http://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/network-config

However, the information in the above-referenced page did not "connect with
me" until I got the reply on the list.

Similarly - I just realized that if you start a cache with .withAsync() and
later call containsKey() on it with a key that I know exists in the cache,
the containsKey() will return false. This, in turn, has caused me to
overwrite the value associated with the key instead of appending to the
value. To make matters more confusing, if a cache is started with
withAsync() and then you obtain a reference to the same, existing cache by
not using withAsync() the containsKey() will work as expected (return true
in my case). This is because the withAsync() applies to the current "user"
of the cache, not to the way the cache was created by the original creator.
VERY confusing! ;)

I am willing to spend the time and write as much documentation as
necessary. I have many years of experience under my belt, mostly in C but I
made the leap to Scala a while ago. I am willing to learn the Java
necessary to get involved by writing code but for starters I am happy to
just write docs too.

Cheers,
Ognen