ignite-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Atri Sharma <atri.j...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Starting templated cache from data streamer.
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 08:24:05 GMT
Could you explain a bit on when is a cache delegate needed? Just trying to
understand context here please.

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Vladimir Ozerov <vozerov@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> Atri,
>
> Currently if user start data streaming on a client for already started
> cache it doesn't yield in internal cache delegate creation on the client
> what saves memory which is very important for client mode. With proposed
> change client will always create cache delegate even if it is not needed.
> This is why I am -1 for this change.
>
> Vladimir.
>
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I agree with that but essentially this is same as manually creating
> before
> > data streaming. I agree with your point of cache delegation but there
> might
> > be usecases where client is fine with this (low number of caches) but may
> > need functionality to automate cache creation when streaming.
> >
> > I feel that we should implement this and document memory implications of
> > this so it can be used for needed use cases.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Vladimir Ozerov <vozerov@gridgain.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Atri,
> > >
> > > I thought a little bit more about this. Calling "getOrCreateCache" is
> > not a
> > > good idea when streamer is called from a client node because it will
> lead
> > > to creating a cache delegate on this node. But with current approach
> this
> > > is not necessary and client node doesn't spent memory on it.
> > >
> > > Therefore, I think we should not implement this provided that
> workaround
> > > exists: user could call "Ignite.getOrCreateCache" manually before
> > starting
> > > data streaming in case it is really needed.
> > >
> > > Vladimir.
> > >
> > > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:20 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have created IGNITE -1066 for this.
> > > >
> > > > Please see and comment.
> > > >
> > > > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:36 PM, Atri Sharma <atri.jiit@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > I think it is a good idea but I wonder if it makes sense to also
> > notify
> > > > to
> > > > > the user somehow that a cache was created or not by this function.
> > > > >
> > > > > Why I feel that is necessary is because if we are creating caches
> > most
> > > of
> > > > > the time in the function to the user opaquely, it may lead to user
> > > > > questioning the performance degradation (minor though it may be)
> > since
> > > > > creating a cache will be a tad more expensive than just getting it.
> > It
> > > > > would be worthwhile to atleast log so we can identify performance
> > > issues
> > > > > later on.
> > > > >
> > > > > If you are fine I can make ticket and assign it to myself.
> > > > >
> > > > > On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Vladimir Ozerov <
> > > vozerov@gridgain.com>
> > > > > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > >> Igniters,
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Consider the following use case.
> > > > >> 1) User configured cache template, but has never accessed it
> > > explicitly
> > > > >> yet;
> > > > >> 2) User calls Ignite.dataStreamer([cacheName]) - exception is
> thrown
> > > > >> because cache is not started.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I have a feeling that data streamer must have "getOrCreateCache"
> > > > semantics
> > > > >> so that user do not have to pre-start cache explicitly to start
> > > loading
> > > > >> data to it.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Thoughts?
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Vladimir.
> > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > --
> > > > > Regards,
> > > > >
> > > > > Atri
> > > > > *l'apprenant*
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Regards,
> > > >
> > > > Atri
> > > > *l'apprenant*
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Atri
> > *l'apprenant*
> >
>



-- 
Regards,

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message