ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Kornev <andrewkor...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Async cache creation
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 14:42:06 GMT
Thanks Yakov!

Well, a client or not a client, one may have plenty of things to do while waiting for a cache
to finish creating. For example, one might like to create more caches...

In any case, I think the reasoning about sync vs async is pretty much the same as with the
data streaming... One might say: I have nothing else to do until my data is done loading...

In practical terms, Ignite could add the async counterparts (returning a Future) for each
of the "Ignite.create" variety as well as "Ignite.cache". Or, alternatively, those methods
could take an optional completion callback. If provided, the method would return immediately
(with a null), and the callback would be called asynchronously once the operation has completed...
Yet another approach would be to move all cache management operations to a newly created Cache
Manager class (a la JCache's CacheManager) that would provide async support via IgniteAsyncSupport.
The final option is do nothing, which is also fine. :)

Regards
Andrey