ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignite-1.5 Release
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:27:06 GMT
On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Raul Kripalani <raulk@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Yakov Zhdanov <yzhdanov@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Raul, every build submitted for vote is RC (so, on first iteration this
> > will be 1.5.0-EA-RC1). Once accepted RC gets stripped off and we get
> > official release. My idea is to have EA available via maven and from the
> > website.
> >

> Aha, I see. I'm not sure I like the idea of pushing the EA to Maven Central
> and making it live there perpetually. After 3 years, we would still have an
> 1.5.0.EA there.
> Red Hat is a company that uses EAs quite often. They have a separate Maven
> repo for them, from which they prune the EAs once they become GA.
>
> I prefer that we publish a RC1 to a staging repo and inform our users via
> mailing list. All they'd have to do to take 1.5.0-RC1 for a spin is add the
> staging repo to their pom.xml.

Raul, personally, I am more in favor of adding the EA to Maven. Having it
there forever does not really scare me. It will be a lot easier for the
community to take the release for a spin without having some special
instructions. Moreover, I imagine that many users will jump on it as well,
as it sounds like the release is pretty close to the production-ready state.