ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Kornev <andrewkor...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Binary object inside Externalizable
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:26:30 GMT
Val,

I think Ignite Serialization should follow the approach similar to what Java serialization
does: it can transparently and consistently handle both Serializable and Externalizable classes.
It can do it because it relies on a single class - ObjectOutputStream - to do serialization
(and a single class - ObjectInputStream - to do the opposite, but let's ignore it for the
moment). ObjectOutputStream delegates to proper user callbacks (writeObject or writeExternal)
at the right moments, but otherwise it fully controls the on-the-wire representation and takes
care of all the necessary stream framing/marking so that ObjectInputStream can then correctly
deserialize the bytes. It's never a problem for Java to serialize an Externalizable field
from a Serializable object and vice versa. Users can mix and match serialization APIs as they
please.

I think Ignite should just have a single marshaller, let's say the Binary, which drives the
whole serialization process. It doesn't delegate to OptimizedMarshaller as it does today.
Instead it detects the Serializable/Externalizable classes and calls their serialization callbacks
- writeObject/writeExternal - passing in *itself* as ObjectOutputStream/ObjectOutput correspondingly.
This way the entire serialization process never leaves the context of a single Binary marshaller
and allows Ignite to handle such complex cases as the one we're discussing now.

I hope it makes sense.

Andrey