ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dood@ODDO <oddodao...@gmail.com>
Subject IGNITE-2693: question about setting BinaryMarshaller on a cache
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2016 23:07:18 GMT
Hello all,

I am working on IGNITE-2693 with Vlad Ozerov's help. I am somewhat of a
Java newbie so please be gentle ;-)

I am curious about something - after reading the Javadocs and Binary
Marshaller docs on Ignite's documentation websites, I think that the
documentation is not very friendly or even somewhat misleading. Or maybe
it is the design that is puzzling to me :-)

For example, we use withKeepBinary() on a cache instance to get a binary
cache that utilizes the binary marshaller. But this is not a setting
that is "settable" on a per cache basis - we do not allow for a
per-cache method to set a desired marshaller, this seems to be reserved
for the IgniteConfiguration() interface/implementation(s)
setMarshaller() method and is a grid-wide setting.

The background to this is that I have "fixed" the withKeepBinary()
interface to throw an exception if the marshaller used is not binary
(the ticket explains the reason why we want this). Apparently we
(silently?) assume a binary marshaller everywhere but in one of the
unrelated tests in the test suite for some reason an optimized
marshaller is used and as a result of this (with my new change) these
tests are failing [1]. I am trying to fix this but in the process I
realized that you cannot set the marshaller through a
CacheConfiguration() method (no such thing exists), this has to be done
at a higher level (the IgniteConfiguration). However, the whole test is
written to inherit a grid configuration with an optimized marshaller (is
what it looks like to me)....

Am I just horribly confused and missing something very obvious? Thanks!

[1]
org.apache.ignite.internal.processors.cache.GridCacheOffHeapTieredEvictionAbstractSelfTest