ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: scripting languages base cases using swig
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:14:31 GMT
Sounds interesting. If SWIG does its job really well than agree it worth communities efforts
to give it a try.

As a side note, I assume that somewhere in the future we will come to the point when Ignite
will have its own Machine Learning API. For every ML lib it’s essential to support Python
and R languages that are used by analysts, scientists and researches who train models and
adjust algorithms before everything is deployed in production using Java or C++.

If SWIG can generate Ignite’s APIs for Python and R then it would be a big breakthrough
for us because the platform will provide all required languages needed to adopt an ML lib
among researchers and developers.

Could you take in charge of design and create respective JIRA tickets?

—
Denis

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 11:55 PM, Evgeniy Stanilovskiy <estanilovskiy@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> Hi Denis,
>
> I don`t see any problem here, i have to speak with @vozerov about this issue and he recommends
me to write it into dev list. All problems that i have with swig is :
> 1. jni overhead (no miracle here ...)
> 2. light troubles with collections API wrapping, like std::map, std::list and so on.
>
> Partially my open source FreeLing java wrapper you can see here
> https://github.com/TALP-UPC/FreeLing/tree/master/APIs/java
>
> std_list.i - little stub :) i have talking about.
>
>> Hi Evgeniy,
>>
>> Presently we’re trying to fill this gap offering SQL Grid [1]. In a nutshell, you
can connect to an Ignite cluster from your favorite language or tool with ODBC/JDBC drivers
and work with the cluster using SQL SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE statements.

>> Here is how everything works for PHP that is not natively supported by Ignite:
>> https://dzone.com/articles/apache-ignite-enables-full-fledged-sql-support-for
>>
>> However, as for SWIG. Do you think it’s feasible to implement on top of Ignite.C++
client which is tightly coupled with JVM?

>> [1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/sql-grid>
>>
>> —
>> Denis
>>
>>> On Jan 16, 2017, at 11:46 PM, Evgeniy Stanilovskiy <estanilovskiy@gridgain.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi all.
>>> Not so long ago i had to know that ignite had reduced functionality support in
scripting languages.
>>> So, idea was to take an existing C++ client and using SWIG (http://www.swig.org)
as automatic wrapper, generate clients for absence scripting languages.