ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Timeout for ordered message
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 22:02:09 GMT
Folks,

Anyone knows what is the purpose of the timeout for
IgniteMessaging#sendOrdered method?

void sendOrdered(@Nullable Object topic, Object msg, long timeout);

It seems to me that in current implementation messages are always ordered
on communication level. I.e. if you send messages 1, 2 and 3, there is no
way to receive 3 before 2. The only difference between ordered and
unordered messages is that ordered are processed one after another in a
single thread, while unordered can be processed in parallel.

Having said that, timeout for ordered messages doesn't make much sense to
me. Is there a scenario that I'm missing?

-Val