ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lack of accounting for extremely disruptive functionality
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2017 05:43:57 GMT
Hi Roman!

In fact, that particular issue you’re referring to was handled directly in JIRA [1] in order
to address the reported CVE [2]. Now I see, that as one of the ticket reviewers, I should
have initiated a broader discussion on @dev to avoid the point we came to today with the update
notifier.

Speaking about the notifier in general, that’s not a new piece of code. It was originally
donated to Ignite at the time of incubation and we planned to make use of it for the whole
community (for instance, knowing such metrics as JDK version we can not only see what’s
the most popular Java version Ignite runs on but to decide if there is a reason to support
Java 7).

However, due to a lack of resources and shifting priorities and interests inside of the community
we haven’t completed the upgrade process of the notifier and none of the data gathered by
it is used for any purpose. So, now, the reasonable decision would be to disable the notifier
completely and initiate a separate discussion on @dev going over its scope, functionality
and future.

Thoughts?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4537 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4537>