ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Pavlov <dpavlov....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 2.4 release
Date Wed, 07 Feb 2018 10:13:37 GMT
Hi Raymond,

Minor releases were discussed already at dev list. Community does not
support minor releases. In case of emergency fix is required, full release
process has to be followed for next release, e.g. for 2.5. Exactly that
type of release was 2.2, it was emergency release for fix persistence
usability issues.

Early access build may being build using DEVNOTES.txt instruction from
Ignite source code.

IMO this fix is mandatory because problem occurs every time when Durable
Memory pages replacement is started (rotation of pages with RAM and disk).
It is general case for most of databases, when there is plenty of HDD space
but not so much RAM.

Full fix with hashing algoritm change will require around a week, but in
the same time I will try to find out workaround to provide fast fix for 2.4.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

ср, 7 февр. 2018 г. в 12:07, Raymond Wilson <raymond_wilson@trimble.com>:

> I guess this depends on how long it will take to implement.
>
> Is it acceptable to release 2.4 without this fix (which allows integrators
> earlier access to elements such as thin client protocol etc), but follow it
> up with a 2.4.1 release containing the performance fix?
>
> What is the community policy for minor point releases? Does the
> build/release process allow for a more agile release cadence?
>
> Thanks,
> Raymond.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 7/02/2018, at 8:29 PM, Alexey Goncharuk <alexey.goncharuk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Guys,
> >
> > Thanks to Dmitriy Pavlov we found the ticket [1] which causes a major
> > slowdown when page replacement starts. Even though it's not a
> regression, I
> > suggest we consider it a blocker for 2.4 because this is a huge
> performance
> > issue which can make it virtually impossible to use native persistence
> when
> > data size is significantly larger than memory size.
> >
> > Any objections?

> >> Igniters, I will handle 2.4 release if there are no objections.
> >> Let's take a bit more time for testing and start vote by the end of this
> >> week.
> >>
> >> Pavel

> be

> >> release!