ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Artem Budnikov <a.budnikov.ign...@gmail.com>
Subject Documenting Ignite
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2018 12:06:03 GMT
Hi Igniters,

Being a technical writer, I'm going to contribute to Ignite's
documentation, and I believe documentation is an important part of every
product, especially such a complex product as Apache Ignite.

I'd like to put forward a suggestion on how to increase our chances of
making Ignite documentation more comprehensive. The basic idea is to
have a Jira issue with the Component field set to "Documentation" for
every feature that needs to be documented. This will ensure that there
are documentation issues that cover the entire product functionality.
Then someone can take on an issue and contribute an article on the subject.

This is how I envision it to work technically. A new field (checkbox) is
added to the Apache Ignite Jira project. The checkbox indicates that the
feature requested in this issue needs to be documented. The checkbox is
selected by default. If the feature does not require documentation, then
the author unchecks the checkbox. If it does require documentation, the
author creates a related Jira issue selecting "Documentation" in the
Component field, providing details on what exactly should be documented.

The field is called "Requires documentation" or similarly. It could be
also useful to create a new issue type for documentation issues exclusively.

Once this is done, we'll be able to filter out

 1. issues that do not require documentation,
 2. issues that have related documentation tickets, and
 3. issues that require documentation but have no related issues (which
    means that the author forgot to create a documentation issue for it).

Please share your thoughts about this.

Best regards,

Artem Budnikov