ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Lukyanov <stanlukya...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Pushing IGNITE-6826 forward
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:28:01 GMT
Yakov,

First, it doesn’t seem likely that many people would run examples on several machines. Even
if someone would, they’d probably start doing so after some experimentation with a single
host – at the moment when they’re already adjusted enough to check and edit some configs.

Second, I don’t think that this use case outweighs the troubles new (and even experienced)
users get because of the multicast.
Even if it helps some users to get started in their first 30 minutes with Ignite, it will
just as well confuse them later and leave a feeling of unstable product.

Showing a warning with default settings is confusing – a user didn’t do anything wrong,
and still we smack their hand with a warning.
I believe we should use warnings for erroneous conditions only.

Thanks,
Stan

From: Yakov Zhdanov
Sent: 19 июля 2018 г. 16:54
To: dev@ignite.apache.org
Cc: antkr.dev@gmail.com; SomeFireOne@gmail.com; ptupitsyn@apache.org
Subject: Re: Pushing IGNITE-6826 forward

Guys, multicast IP finder gives new user an opportunity to run tests on
several machines with zero config changes. And you want to change this
which is not good in my view.

Probably, we need to output warning pointing that user can change multicast
group to avoid undesired discovery and isolate several clusters in the same
network.

--Yakov