ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Melnichuk <dmitry.melnic...@nobitlost.com>
Subject Re: Python thin client
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2018 04:03:00 GMT
Igor,

I am in doubt here because I am not fully comprehend the meaning of
"binary release". But if it is somehow related to the "distribution"
thing, I would dare to suggest the following options:

1. Copy nothing. Just do

```
$ python setup.py bdist_wheel
$ twine upload dist/*
```

during the build process (or separately) and let PyPI handle the
distribution.

This is the most natural and user-friendly way of distributing Python
packages. End user might only do

```
$ pip install pyignite
```

as it is suggested by my readme file.

2. Supply the wheel package. It is the file 'pyignite-*.whl' from 'dist'
directory, that should appear there as the "python setup.py bdist_wheel"
command finishes. Actually, it can be combined with the first option.

The wheel can then be installed by the end user:

```
$ pip install pyignite-*.whl
```

3. Supply the following files:

ignite/modules/platforms/python/pyignite/**
ignite/modules/platforms/python/requirements/**
ignite/modules/platforms/python/LICENSE
ignite/modules/platforms/python/README.md
ignite/modules/platforms/python/setup.py

(** stands for "all the files and sub-folders recursively, starting from
this folder".)

It is not uncommon or wrong to distribute Python programs as text
without prior packaging, but, in my personal experience, this is a way
more suitable for one-time scripts or proprietary programs. For example,
most of Python web apps relies on git for deployment, without any
packaging subsystem.

Here's a few words about wheels:

https://wheel.readthedocs.io/

Here's about uploading to PyPI with twine:

https://packaging.python.org/tutorials/packaging-projects/#uploading-the-distribution-archives