ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Petr Ivanov <mr.wei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 3.0
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:48:17 GMT
Hi, Val.

> On 12 Aug 2020, at 01:31, Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Petr,
>
> I agree -- we should better modularize the platform. The current way if very error-prone,
especially during upgrades -- any changes made within IGNITE_HOME (configs, scripts, modules,
etc.) must be merged with a new version of the package. There is no standard way of doing
this.

> However, I'm a bit concerned with your suggestion regarding custom dependency management.
Can you please elaborate on how you think it should work? Are there tools we can reuse for
this purpose? I would try to avoid reinventing the wheel.

I see it as a a2enmod | 2dismod analog of Apache2.

We build and store Apache Ignite and its modules as separate binaries (binary per module)
then use custom script that will know where to download necessary module. Or possibly use
modified ignite.sh to specify required optional libs in run command while ignite.sh will download
everything missing from known storage.

The whole idea is in storing everything remotely and download on demand, not have all libs
locally from the start.

> -Val
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com <mailto:mr.weider@gmail.com>>
wrote:
> Hi, Val!
> Thanks for your efforts on this endeavour!
>

> I would like to suggest deliveries changes in Apache Ignite 3.0:
>  — modularised  binary delivery — single minimal binary for starting Ignite and all
other modules and parts of the project (benchmarks, examples, etc.) packed in their own binary
which can be added via custom dependency management tool (i.e. modules.sh)
>  — same distribution for RPM and DEB packages but with modules packed as separate ones
(PHP for example)
>  — separate thin client release cycle with custom versioning
> Possibly, we can we add additional section to the document you introduced for this part.
>
> Also, it seems that full JDK11 support (including building) would be a huge milestone
and a sign of healthy modern project that tends to be on the verge of mainstream technologies
and not the stockpile of legacy leftovers (fully support Iliya in removing all that was deprecated
and/or marked as unused anymore).