ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ilya Kasnacheev <ilya.kasnach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 3.0
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2020 12:01:03 GMT
Hello!

On the contrary, I would suggest that apache2 way was outdated even at
times when apache was all rage.

Now the nginx approach is prevalent: on devops phase, assemble a custom
bundle with all plugins included, store it somewhere, and ship it to
production as a whole to remove any on-the-fly uncertainty from production.

This is what docker does, but also maven, which downloads dependencies
during build. You do not need to download anything in runtime, except for
experimental deployments. You need to be all set before runtime starts.

Regards,
--
Ilya Kasnacheev

ср, 12 авг. 2020 г. в 09:48, Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com>:

> [...]
> >
> > Hi Petr,
> >
> > I agree -- we should better modularize the platform. The current way if
> very error-prone, especially during upgrades -- any changes made within
> IGNITE_HOME (configs, scripts, modules, etc.) must be merged with a new
> version of the package. There is no standard way of doing this.
> >
> > However, I'm a bit concerned with your suggestion regarding custom
> dependency management. Can you please elaborate on how you think it should
> work? Are there tools we can reuse for this purpose? I would try to avoid
> reinventing the wheel.
>
> I see it as a a2enmod | 2dismod analog of Apache2.
>
> We build and store Apache Ignite and its modules as separate binaries
> (binary per module) then use custom script that will know where to download
> necessary module. Or possibly use modified ignite.sh to specify required
> optional libs in run command while ignite.sh will download everything
> missing from known storage.
>
> The whole idea is in storing everything remotely and download on demand,
> not have all libs locally from the start.
>

> > -Val
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com
> <mailto:mr.weider@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > Hi, Val!
> > Thanks for your efforts on this endeavour!
> >

> > I would like to suggest deliveries changes in Apache Ignite 3.0:
> >  — modularised  binary delivery — single minimal binary for starting
> Ignite and all other modules and parts of the project (benchmarks,
> examples, etc.) packed in their own binary which can be added via custom
> dependency management tool (i.e. modules.sh)
> >  — same distribution for RPM and DEB packages but with modules packed as
> separate ones (PHP for example)
> >  — separate thin client release cycle with custom versioning
> > Possibly, we can we add additional section to the document you
> introduced for this part.
> >
> > Also, it seems that full JDK11 support (including building) would be a
> huge milestone and a sign of healthy modern project that tends to be on the
> verge of mainstream technologies and not the stockpile of legacy leftovers
> (fully support Iliya in removing all that was deprecated and/or marked as
> unused anymore).
> >

> > > On 8 Aug 2020, at 02:00, Valentin Kulichenko <
> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com <mailto:valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Igniters,
> > >
> > > I've created the page:
> > > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+3.0 <
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+3.0>
> > >
> > > That's not everything I have in mind, but I believe there is already a
> lot
> > > to talk about :)
> > >
> > > Please take a look let me know if you have any concerns, objections, or
> > > questions. Once we reach the consensus on the proposed changes, I will
> > > start creating tickets in Jira and a more detailed plan.

They

<