ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 3.0
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2020 18:15:59 GMT
Hi Petr,

Got it, that makes sense. I think we should rely on Maven for this.
Basically, like the mvnw wrapper, but specific for Ignite purposes
(enable/disable a module, start/stop a node, etc.). BTW, do you think
RPM/DEB packages can use the same approach? Or they require that binaries
are stored in specific repositories?

-Val

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:48 PM Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Val.
>
> On 12 Aug 2020, at 01:31, Valentin Kulichenko <
> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Petr,
>
> I agree -- we should better modularize the platform. The current way if
> very error-prone, especially during upgrades -- any changes made within
> IGNITE_HOME (configs, scripts, modules, etc.) must be merged with a new
> version of the package. There is no standard way of doing this.
>
> However, I'm a bit concerned with your suggestion regarding custom
> dependency management. Can you please elaborate on how you think it should
> work? Are there tools we can reuse for this purpose? I would try to avoid
> reinventing the wheel.
>

> I see it as a a2enmod | 2dismod analog of Apache2.
>
> We build and store Apache Ignite and its modules as separate binaries
> (binary per module) then use custom script that will know where to download
> necessary module. Or possibly use modified ignite.sh to specify required
> optional libs in run command while ignite.sh will download everything
> missing from known storage.
>
> The whole idea is in storing everything remotely and download on demand,
> not have all libs locally from the start.
>

> -Val
>
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, Val!
>> Thanks for your efforts on this endeavour!
>>

>> I would like to suggest deliveries changes in Apache Ignite 3.0:
>>  — modularised  binary delivery — single minimal binary for starting
>> Ignite and all other modules and parts of the project (benchmarks,
>> examples, etc.) packed in their own binary which can be added via custom
>> dependency management tool (i.e. modules.sh)
>>  — same distribution for RPM and DEB packages but with modules packed as
>> separate ones (PHP for example)
>>  — separate thin client release cycle with custom versioning
>> Possibly, we can we add additional section to the document you introduced
>> for this part.
>>
>> Also, it seems that full JDK11 support (including building) would be a
>> huge milestone and a sign of healthy modern project that tends to be on the
>> verge of mainstream technologies and not the stockpile of legacy leftovers
>> (fully support Iliya in removing all that was deprecated and/or marked as
>> unused anymore).
>>

>> > On 8 Aug 2020, at 02:00, Valentin Kulichenko <
>> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Igniters,
>> >
>> > I've created the page:
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+3.0
>> >
>> > That's not everything I have in mind, but I believe there is already a
>> lot
>> > to talk about :)
>> >
>> > Please take a look let me know if you have any concerns, objections, or
>> > questions. Once we reach the consensus on the proposed changes, I will
>> > start creating tickets in Jira and a more detailed plan.

> [...]
They can