ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Pavel Tupitsyn <ptupit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 3.0
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2020 16:04:23 GMT
Saikat, yes, most definitely.
This is mentioned in the wishlist under ".NET: Target .NET Standard 2.0,
discontinue .NET 4.0 support".
I'm already working towards this goal by making more code and tests work
properly under .NET Core,
so when the time for breaking changes comes, it will be simpler.

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 10:06 PM Saikat Maitra <saikat.maitra@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > you
> >     >     > introduced for this part.
> >     >     > >
> >     >     > > Also, it seems that full JDK11 support (including building)
> > would
> >     > be a
> >     >     > huge milestone and a sign of healthy modern project that
> tends
> > to be
> >     > on the
> >     >     > verge of mainstream technologies and not the stockpile of
> > legacy
> >     > leftovers
> >     >     > (fully support Iliya in removing all that was deprecated
> and/or
> >     > marked as
> >     >     > unused anymore).
> >     >     > >
> >     >     > >
> >     >     > > > On 8 Aug 2020, at 02:00, Valentin Kulichenko <
> >     >     > valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com <mailto:
> > valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com
> >     > >>
> >     >     > wrote:
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > Igniters,
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > I've created the page:
> >     >     > > >
> >     >

> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache*Ignite*3.0__;Kys!!O3mv9RujDHg!2GlQzPzSAyxjW5tzyIzjaVVuR5_U_s65MCFLww8yIHRMzDqSrm5C2nkXYQErpm9uWJo_$
> >     > <
> >     >     >
> >     >

> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache*Ignite*3.0__;Kys!!O3mv9RujDHg!2GlQzPzSAyxjW5tzyIzjaVVuR5_U_s65MCFLww8yIHRMzDqSrm5C2nkXYQErpm9uWJo_$
> >     > >
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > That's not everything I have in mind, but I believe
there
> > is
> >     > already a
> >     >     > lot
> >     >     > > > to talk about :)
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > Please take a look let me know if you have any concerns,
> >     > objections, or
> >     >     > > > questions. Once we reach the consensus on the proposed
> > changes,
> >     > I will
> >     >     > > > start creating tickets in Jira and a more detailed plan.
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > -Val
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > > On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 6:28 PM Saikat Maitra <
> >     > saikat.maitra@gmail.com
> >     >     > <mailto:saikat.maitra@gmail.com>>
> >     >     > > > wrote:
> >     >     > > >
> >     >     > > >> Hi Denis, Val
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >> Thank you for your reply and really appreciate it.
It
> > will be
> >     > very
> >     >     > cool to
> >     >     > > >> be able to connect and plan release together and
learn
> > more
> >     > about
> >     >     > Ignite in
> >     >     > > >> the process :)
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >> Regards
> >     >     > > >> Saikat
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >> On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 7:12 PM Valentin Kulichenko
<
> >     >     > > >> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com <mailto:
> >     > valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com>>
> >     >     > wrote:
> >     >     > > >>
> >     >     > > >>> Hi Saikat,
> >     >     > > >>>
> >     >     > > >>> That surely is a great idea. We will work together
with
> > Denis
> >     > on
> >     >     > setting
> >     >     > > >>> this up in the nearest future.
> >     >     > > >>>
> >     >     > > >>> -Val
> >     >     > > >>>
> >     >     > > >>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:21 AM Denis Magda
<
> > dmagda@apache.org
> >     >     > <mailto:dmagda@apache.org>> wrote:
> >     >     > > >>>
> >     >     > > >>>> Saikat,
> >     >     > > >>>>
> >     >     > > >>>> Fully support your idea on a virtual meetup!
Once Val
> >     > collects and
> >     >     > > >>> outlines
> >     >     > > >>>> the main changes with directions on wiki,
we’ll go
> > ahead and
> >     >     > schedule
> >     >     > > >> the
> >     >     > > >>>> meetup to talk things out in a bit more
detail. We’ll
> > use our
> >     > new
> >     >     > > >> Virtual
> >     >     > > >>>> Ignite Meetup group for that inviting both
Ignite
> >     > contributors and
> >     >     > > >>>> application developers.
> >     >     > > >>>>
> >     >     > > >>>> Denis
> >     >     > > >>>>
> >     >     > > >>>> On Thursday, August 6, 2020, Saikat Maitra
<
> >     > saikat.maitra@gmail.com
> >     >     > <mailto:saikat.maitra@gmail.com>>
> >     >     > > >>>> wrote:
> >     >     > > >>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> Hi Valentin
> >     >     > > >>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> Thank you for sharing and starting the
thread. I am
> > thinking
> >     > if it
> >     >     > > >> will
> >     >     > > >>>> be
> >     >     > > >>>>> a good idea to have a virtual meet setup
to discuss
> on
> > the
> >     > release
> >     >     > > >>>>> planning.
> >     >     > > >>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> It will help to learn more individual
features to be
> > added
> >     > and also
> >     >     > > >>>>> understand about features that have
been deprecated
> and
> >     > scheduled
> >     >     > for
> >     >     > > >>>>> removal in Ignite 3.0 release. Also
it will help
> > community
> >     > member
> >     >     > > >>>>> connect in real time and ask questions
and share
> > feedback.
> >     >     > > >>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> Regards,
> >     >     > > >>>>> Saikat
> >     >     > > >>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 3:51 AM Ilya
Kasnacheev <
> >     >     > > >>>> ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com <mailto:
> > ilya.kasnacheev@gmail.com>>
> >     >     > > >>>>> wrote:
> >     >     > > >>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> Hello!
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> I hope to see Apache Ignite release
3.0 as API
> > trimming
> >     > release.
> >     >     > > >> Let
> >     >     > > >>> us
> >     >     > > >>>>>> correct external and internal APIs
for which we have
> > better
> >     > ideas
> >     >     > > >>> now,
> >     >     > > >>>> as
> >     >     > > >>>>>> well as remove old and deprecated
code.
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> We may also introduce new configuration
mechanisms
> and
> >     > user-facing
> >     >     > > >>> API
> >     >     > > >>>>>> (such as cache-less native SQL queries),
but this we
> > could
> >     >     > > >> prototype
> >     >     > > >>>>> before
> >     >     > > >>>>>> starting the 3.0 task.
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> I will advise against targeting
large new features
> at
> > 3.0.
> >     > They
> >     >     > can
> >     >     > > >>> be
> >     >     > > >>>>>> added in subsequent point releases,
whereas we can't
> > really
> >     > remove
> >     >     > > >> or
> >     >     > > >>>>>> remodel stuff in point releases.
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> Regards,
> >     >     > > >>>>>> --
> >     >     > > >>>>>> Ilya Kasnacheev
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>> чт, 6 авг. 2020 г. в 03:54,
Valentin Kulichenko <
> >     >     > > >>>>>> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com <mailto:
> >     >     > valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com>>:
> >     >     > > >>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> Igniters,
> >     >     > > >>>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> I would like to kick off a discussion
regarding
> > Ignite 3.0.
> >     >     > > >> Ignite
> >     >     > > >>>> 2.0
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> exists for more than 3 years
now and we've already
> >     > collected a
> >     >     > > >>>>>> significant
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> list [1] of changes that we
would like to have, but
> > cannot
> >     >     > > >>> implement
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> without breaking compatibility.
> >     >     > > >>>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> I think it's time to start planning
for the next
> > major
> >     > release
> >     >     > > >> and
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> discussing what should be included.
I've already
> > gathered
> >     > some
> >     >     > > >>>>>> information
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> and feedback, and have some
thoughts on how to
> > approach
> >     > this. In
> >     >     > > >>> the
> >     >     > > >>>>> next
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> few days, I will put everything
into a Wiki page
> and
> > will
> >     > share
> >     >     > > >> it
> >     >     > > >>>> once
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> this is done. Stay tuned!
> >     >     > > >>>>>>>
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> I'm willing to drive the 3.0
activities going
> > forward as
> >     > well.
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> In the meantime, if there are
any immediate
> thoughts
> > or
> >     > ideas,
> >     >     > > >>> please
> >     >     > > >>>>>>> free to join the thread and
share them.