ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Ignite Docs: Status and Incomplete Items
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2020 23:31:51 GMT
Hey, thanks for keep checking the content and behavior of the new docs.
This helps a lot!

https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/installation/deb-rpm
> This document should be incomplete. At present, there are only
> descriptions related to DEB package, which is much less than the
> original one.

Hmm, good remark. @Peter Ivanov <pivanov@gridgain.com>, for some reason,
Artem didn't port the RPM instructions.

Compare the readme.io original doc:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/rpm-and-deb-setup
with the new version:
https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/installation/deb-rpm

Is this an oversight or do we have any RPM related issue?

1.The right most scroll bar should only affect the body part of the
> document, but now scrolling the right scroll bar, the left menu and the
> right TOC are affected, so the user experience is not good;
> 3.Most of the time, the menu on the left side cannot be linked with the
> document body normally. When a document is displayed, the menu item on
> the left side should be expanded and selected. But now the logic seems
> confused, especially when the current page is jumping from external links.

Yeap, the left-side menu issue was known and we keep fixing it. As for the
right-side menu issues, that's new. Both issues will be fixed:

2.CodeBlock(tabs) components should have a background color or border
> line (see the original readme.io),Otherwise, it is easy to be confused
> with the document body.

Could you point out to any example? We do use a special background and
syntax highlighter for code snippets. For instance, check a configuration
snippet from this K8 installation section:
https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/installation/kubernetes/azure-deployment#creating-service

https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/setup-dotnet
> this page is 404

Good catch. I removed that page and, instead, added a special callout to
the top of this page. The callout brings attention to .NET, Python, etc.
installation instructions:
https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/understanding-configuration

In addition, with regard to Kubernetes, in fact, the services provided
> by various cloud service providers are generally similar. From the
> perspective of documents, most of the contents are repetitive. In
> addition, many users may still deploy Kubernetes in a private environment.
> So recombine these long documents into one general document, and then
> according to the differences of different service providers, there is
> another document to make it look clearer and save a lot of space.

Makes sense to me. Create a ticket for that. Hope those other contributors
will pick it up. Don't have time to work on it personally:

Btw, should we create any instructions for Alibaba, Huawei or other clouds?
Do you have anything like that on the Chinese version of the doc?

-
Denis

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020 at 11:03 PM 18624049226 <18624049226@163.com> wrote:

> [...]
> We
> > didn't intend to copy the docs as is. There are a lot of structural
> changes
> > as well as complete rewrites of pages.
> > Also, some of the old pages were skipped deliberately, if they were about
> > legacy or rarely used APIs.
> >
> > Please see inline for extra thoughts. Btw, try out the search toolbox
> that
> > can point out to a new location of certain docs.
> >
> > -
> > Denis
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 8:05 PM 18624049226 <18624049226@163.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Denis,
> >>
> >> I have roughly compared the new document with the original document. The
> >> corresponding page in the list below shows that the new version of the
> >> document is missing or incomplete, please confirm it again.
> >> I didn't check every paragraph of the new document, so this is just a
> hint.
> >>
> >> https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/installation/deb-rpm
> > https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/installation/deb-rpm
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/mesos-deployment
> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/yarn-deployment
> >
> > Those are legacy installation options. We agreed not to bring them to the
> > new docs.
> >
> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/generic-configuration
> >
> > That generic K8 configuration was referenced from cloud-specific pages.
> > Now, the whole installation process is adopted for every cloud
> environment
> > so that the reader doesn't
> > need to jump back and forth between the generic and cloud-specific K8
> pages.
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/memory-defragmentation
> >

> https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/memory-architecture#memory-defragmentation
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/distributed-locks
> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/messaging
> >
> > These two were missed, I'll add them to the new docs.
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/perfomance-benchmarking
> >
> > Same, I'll add it.
> >

> >> https://apacheignite-mix.readme.io/docs/amazon-aws
> >
> > https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/clustering/discovery-in-the-cloud
> >

> >> https://apacheignite-mix.readme.io/docs/web-session-clustering
> >
> > The page is outdated. There are many blog posts and articles on the topic
> > on the Internet. We deliberately skipped it.
> >

> >> https://apacheignite-mix.readme.io/docs/installation-in-apache-karaf
> >
> > The module is not maintained and there are no signs that anybody uses it.
> > No plans to port.
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/ignite-life-cycle
> >

> https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/starting-nodes#node-lifecycle-events
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/thread-pools
> >

> https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/perf-and-troubleshooting/thread-pools-tuning
> >

> >> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/async-support
> >
> > This page seems redundant. It should be enough to open JavaDocs and see

There
> is

> >> It
> under