ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Gura <ag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exceeding the DataStorageConfiguration#getMaxWalArchiveSize due to historical rebalance
Date Tue, 11 May 2021 10:18:24 GMT
Stan

> If archive size is less than min or more than max then the system functionality can degrade
(e.g. historical rebalance may not work as expected).

Why does the condition "archive size is less than min" lead to system
degradation? Actually, the described case is a normal situation for
brand new clusters.

I'm okay with the proposed minWalArchiveSize property. Looks like
relatively understandable property.

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Stanislav Lukyanov
<stanlukyanov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Discuss this with Kirill verbally.
>
> Kirill showed me that having the min threshold doesn't quite work.
> It doesn't work because we no longer know how much WAL we should remove if we reach getMaxWalArchiveSize.
>
> For example, say we have minWalArchiveTimespan=2 hours and maxWalArchiveSize=2GB.
> Say, under normal load on stable topology 2 hours of WAL use 1 GB of space.
> Now, say we're doing historical rebalance and reserve the WAL archive.
> The WAL archive starts growing and soon it occupies 2 GB.
> Now what?
> We're supposed to give up WAL reservations and start agressively removing WAL archive.
> But it is not clear when can we stop removing WAL archive - since last 2 hours of WAL
are larger than our maxWalArchiveSize
> there is no meaningful point the system can use as a "minimum" WAL size.
>
> I understand the description above is a bit messy but I believe that whoever is interested
in this will understand it
> after drawing this on paper.
>

> I'm giving up on my latest suggestion about time-based minimum. Let's keep it simple.
>
> I suggest the minWalArchiveSize and maxWalArchvieSize properties as the solution,
> with the behavior as initially described by Kirill.
>
> Stan
>

> > On 7 May 2021, at 15:09, ткаленко кирилл <tkalkirill@yandex.ru>
wrote:

> > Stas hello!
> >
> > I didn't quite get your last idea.
> > What will we do if we reach getMaxWalArchiveSize? Shall we not delete the segment
until minWalArchiveTimespan?

> > 06.05.2021, 20:00, "Stanislav Lukyanov" <stanlukyanov@gmail.com>:
> >> An interesting suggestion I heard today.
> >>
> >> The minWalArchiveSize property might actually be minWalArchiveTimespan - i.e.
be a number of seconds instead of a number of bytes!

> >> I think this makes perfect sense from the user point of view.
> >> "I want to have WAL archive for at least N hours but I have a limit of M gigabytes
to store it".

> >> Do we have checkpoint timestamp stored anywhere? (cp start markers?)
> >> Perhaps we can actually implement this?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Stan

(is it the current size? the minimal size? the target size?)
is exactly what it is - the minimal size of the archive that we want to have.
can degrade (e.g. historical rebalance may not work as expected).

rebalance is over. Which can be critical for the user.

WAL limit.

<tkalkirill@yandex.ru>:

> [...]
I propose to