From "venkata guddanti" <venkata.gudda...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Charting Component
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:51:47 GMT
Hi Martin,

I am not sure I understand the first issue. I was planning to render the
chart and its model using JS from the component renderer. So if the JS name
includes the clientId (for e.g. trinidadChartid4) I was assuming that it
would be unique enough on the page.

I was suggesting that org_apache_myfaces_ is not a good prefix for
JavaScript className since in Oracle for JavaScript we mostly follow the
same coding conventions as Java.

Regards,
Venkata

On 7/17/06, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Venkata,
>
> a unique component id and a unique method-name or variable name are
> two entirely different things.
>
> Imagine a chart component outside of any naming container, which gets
> the id "chart" set by the user. Whatever global variable you use will
> then be named according to your unique id, but that doesn't really
> mean the variable name is unique. If you use another chart component
> on the same page (yes, it's possible, there are several charting comps
> for JSF out there) the likelihood is great to run into name conflicts.
>
> Prepending everything with ADF is a better namespacing decision - the
> probability that something has the 3-letter combination ADF in its
> name is rather low. So if you properly define classnames which contain
> ADF, you should be all set. I still think that using the unique prefix
> you have in your domain (also used in your Java-package structure) is
> a much better prefix. You don't type a classname very often, and
> there's even code complete for this in some IDEs.
>
> Once more - method's shouldn't be global, and therefore don't need to
> be namespaced!
>
> There is really not much need for the use of global names except for
> classes and a very few variables.
>
> What is your reason for saying that org_apache_myfaces_ does not seem
> like a good prefix for class names?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin
>
> On 7/17/06, venkata guddanti <venkata.guddanti@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > Thanks for suggesting the namespace for JavaScript variables on the
> page. I
> > was thinking that javascript variables rendered from the components are
> > automatically unique if we suffix them with the clientId.
> >
> > I believe org_apache_myfaces_ does not seem like a good prefix for
> > JavaScript class names. Is there a better prefix notation in myfaces for
> > JavaScript class names? For e.g. In our RichClient framework built on
> top of
> > trinidad all our javascript classes are prefixed with ADF
> >
> > Regards,
> > Venkata
> >

> > On 7/17/06, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Venkata,
> > >
> > > the general rule in MyFaces is to prefix with:
> > >
> > > org_apache_myfaces_....
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Martin

> in