From "Martin Marinschek" <martin.marinsc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Charting Component
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:37:57 GMT
Hi Venkata,

a unique component id and a unique method-name or variable name are
two entirely different things.

Imagine a chart component outside of any naming container, which gets
the id "chart" set by the user. Whatever global variable you use will
then be named according to your unique id, but that doesn't really
mean the variable name is unique. If you use another chart component
on the same page (yes, it's possible, there are several charting comps
for JSF out there) the likelihood is great to run into name conflicts.

Prepending everything with ADF is a better namespacing decision - the
probability that something has the 3-letter combination ADF in its
name is rather low. So if you properly define classnames which contain
ADF, you should be all set. I still think that using the unique prefix
you have in your domain (also used in your Java-package structure) is
a much better prefix. You don't type a classname very often, and
there's even code complete for this in some IDEs.

Once more - method's shouldn't be global, and therefore don't need to
be namespaced!

There is really not much need for the use of global names except for
classes and a very few variables.

What is your reason for saying that org_apache_myfaces_ does not seem
like a good prefix for class names?

regards,

Martin

On 7/17/06, venkata guddanti <venkata.guddanti@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for suggesting the namespace for JavaScript variables on the page. I
> was thinking that javascript variables rendered from the components are
> automatically unique if we suffix them with the clientId.
>
> I believe org_apache_myfaces_ does not seem like a good prefix for
> JavaScript class names. Is there a better prefix notation in myfaces for
> JavaScript class names? For e.g. In our RichClient framework built on top of
> trinidad all our javascript classes are prefixed with ADF
>
> Regards,
> Venkata
>

> On 7/17/06, Martin Marinschek <martin.marinschek@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Venkata,
> >
> > the general rule in MyFaces is to prefix with:
> >
> > org_apache_myfaces_....
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > On 7/17/06, venkata guddanti <venkata.guddanti@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Martin,
> > >
> > > The global variable is only in the test page. The rendering logic is in
> > > Chart.js. I plan to make this logic namespace compliant. Currently it is
> > > using chart as a namespace. For e.g. chartAssert etc., Chart is the base
> > > class for all the other chart types. I believe I will change the
> > namespace
> > > to something like: trinidadChart.  I would appreciate any other comments
> > > regarding the prototype. Please also keep in mind that this code is
> > still
> > > rough. I have to make a pass through it to clean it up. For e.g. I have
> > > private variables in the base class that I am using in the derived
> > classes.
> > >
> > > I still have few weeks of work before I can start integrate with the
> > > trinidad and PPR framework as I have a day job with Oracle :). Here are
> > some
> > > of the important things that I have left regarding the charting:
> > >

> > >    - Animation support.
> > >    - Better Labeling support
> > >    - Tooltips
> > >

> > > I will ask Matthias to put another version on the server as I am just
> > about
> > > ready to integrate.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Venkata