+1 This seems to match the spec, which defines the algorithm below, so we'd just use org.apache.myfaces.trinidad.resource.MessageBundle instead of javax.faces.Messages.

The following algorithm must be used to create a FacesMessage instance given a message
key.
■ Call getMessageBundle() on the Application instance for this web application,
to determine if the application has defined a resource bundle name. If so, load that
ResourceBundle and look for the message there.
■ If not there, look in the javax.faces.Messages resource bundle.
thanks,

Gab