From "Matthias Wessendorf" <mat...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps? (was Re: Is trinidad ready for graduation ?)
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:03:50 GMT
On 4/11/07, Simon Lessard <simon.lessard.3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I don't think a TLP would be a good idea just yet since JSF is
> still relatively new compared to some older well known frameworks. I think
> it's easier for new users to find all they need from one entry point and
> MyFaces seems the right place for that, at least for now.
>
> Also, being a subproject will probably improve the users' confidence in
> library compatibility as well as encourage that compatibility to be
> kept/improved by developers.

sounds like you also prefer the subproject.

> It may just be a feeling, but it seems to me that making Trinidad TLP right
> away would make it look a bit like a loner, especially since Tobago and
> Tomahawk are MyFaces sub projects. If JSF component sets should be TLP(s),
> then I think it should be done all at the same time, and this cannot be
> achieved until we harmonize Tomahawk, Trinidad and Tobago imho.

MyFaces is the TLP currently for almost all JSF stuff. it has three subprojects:
-jsf impl
-tomahawk
-tobago

(I'd consider the impl as a subproject as well)

Shale (a jsf framework) is it's own TLP
I'd not say, that Shale is a loner! There is also JSF-stuff in portals
and even in cocoon.

Perhaps the best for now is, going as a subproject of Apache MyFaces
and start a discussion on the "future" of MyFaces. I can see the value
of a Apache MyFaces project, that cares about JSF IMPL only.

And a "jakarta-style" JSF components project.

Let's assume we start the "myfaces commons" stuff in the near future,
this "JSF components TLP" could have the following subprojects:
-Tomahawk
-Tobago
-Trinidad
-commons (non-renderkit-goodies)

Martin, you are the man that know best about Jakarta, what are your
thoughts on that?

For now, I think it's worth to graduate to be a Apache MyFaces subproject.

-Matthias