From "Chris Lowe" <chris.lowe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Skinless
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:48:57 GMT
Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info on the minimal skin, I'll switch to that in the
meantime.  An even more minimal skin would be great though - anything to
save bandwidth, server hits and browser parsing of CSS/JS will be greatly
appreciated.

My main reasons for not using a skin are cited in my original post.  I'm
using making minimal use of the Trinidad component set (using <10
components) and having the CSS download seems excessive, plus learning about
the skinning for my needs was overkill. So for my current project, regular
CSS suited my needs for positioning and setting simple attributes like
width.

I completely get the point of skinning and it looks really useful, it's just
not necessary at the minute.

I will be using a compression filter for resources like CSS, I've always
found that the following filter does everything I need:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pjl-comp-filter/

Are there any better ones out there?

Are the Trinidad generated CSS/JS files constant between pages?  If so, do
you see any problem with setting the HTTP cache headers: "Expires" and
"Cache-Control" to prevent the browser from requesting these resources on
each page request?

Cheers,

Chris.