incubator-agila-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Zulauf <rzul...@objeng.ch>
Subject Contribution
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 13:46:07 GMT
Dear all,

with delight I have seen that the Apache software stack is finally being
complemented with a BPM/workflow solution.

I myself have have designed and implemented two different commercial
Java workflow engines, one used as as a complete BPM suite (called
Amazonas Workflow), and one used for low-level hardware-control in the
printing industry.

I am interested in contributing to the Apache community, since as a
developer Apache tools aid you daily and at some point you should give
something back. And now that a BPM project is incubating, I can
contribute in my favorite field.

The company I work for is now considering in donating our BPM suite (or
parts of it) to the Apache community. It is an XPDL-based engine and
implements not the complete, but a very large subset of the XPDL
specification by the Workflow Management Coalition. It comes with a
process designer (table based, not graphical), a JSP/Servlet-based
Web-Client (Worklist, Activity Administration, Process Administration,
etc) and of course the core engine with a CORBA and SOAP interface
(WfXML-Standard). The engine runs currently as a standalone service with
an integrated webserver. The whole product comprises well over 200'000
lines of code and comment.

If you want to have a look at it, see
http://www.objeng.ch/web-oe/comp-awf.html (sorry, german!) or you can
download it from http://www.objeng.ch/web-oe/downloads.html.

The question that arises is, are you guys interested in a further
donation? As I see some kind of merge work to be done anyways between
Agila and Twister, this may be the time to merge three products. My
vision would be creating a state-of-the art product that would beat any
commercially available BPM/BPEL solution in the true Apache style.

So, what do you guys think?

Cheers,
Roman

Roman Zulauf, Software Engineer NDS FH     Object Engineering GmbH
mailto:rzulauf@objeng.ch                      Birmensdorferstr. 32
Tel: ++41 (0) 44 400 47 00         CH-8142 Uitikon-Waldegg/Zuerich
Fax: ++41 (0) 44 400 47 07                    http://www.objeng.ch