From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crawler
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:14:20 GMT
[cc'd to droids list for info since I'm a mentor there too]

2009/6/17 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> 2009/6/17 Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>>> i made a start on a crawler module yesterday to make it easier to
>>> download all releases from an URL.
>>
>> Why not use Droids?
>>
>> http://incubator.apache.org/droids/
>
> in terms of downloading tech...
>
> i did consider looking into droids but couldn't find a release and it
> required jdk 1.6 so concluded that it's not an immediate option (i
> needed something right away)

Fair enough, maybe the Droids people will be prompted into makind a
release (JDK1.5 preferably)

> in the medium term, i think moving to droids sounds like the right move
>
> in terms of process, i see crawler as a replacement for the recursive
> rat script: download a release tree, check sums and signatures, unpack
> releases then run rat on each so it's more than just droids.

Sure it is, but an important part of that is the crawler and I don't
think we shuold be duplicating effort across two projects.

Maybe this mail will encourage the droids team to create a release
that we can use as the crawler.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk