From Chapuis Bertil <bchap...@agimem.com>
Subject Re: Droids community day
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:37:57 GMT
Hello all,

Is there still interest for a community day? Personally, I am using droids in two projects
to acquire data over the web so I 'd love to see the framework evolving.

I tried to implement [1] some of the changes proposed on Jira and made some refactoring. It's
still buggy but I hope some of these changes may be returned to the community.

The major changes are the following:
	- Droids 56: java.util.Queue is used instead of TaskQueue.
	- Replaced all the factories with a single WorkerFactory. It helps solving the concurrency
problems.
	- Handler implementation that uses cocoon.
	- A JMS implementation of the queue (early prototype :-)

As I told before some of the changes have been made as experiments as well as the API modifications.
I'm still using the last droids release for my projects and I just hope this may help thinking
about the future.

Kind regards,

Bertil Chapuis

[1] - https://agimem.homelinux.com/svn/droids/

On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:41 AM, Richard Frovarp wrote:

> On 2/22/2010 4:42 AM, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> to summaries: there is interest to have a community day, that is awesome
>> news. :)
>>
>> Now since we are truly an apache project, we are actually covering
>> nearly all timezones. Meaning to have a specific time that is best for
>> everyone will be hard to archive. You can consult the corresponding time
>> in [1] and we use UTC as default.
>>
>> Richard said till 8th of march he can join from 1400 UTC, however Ryan
>> cannot make time after until 15th march. Mingfai and Chapuis did not
>> have any restrictions. Javier did not replied here but demonstrated
>> interest when I talked with him the other day (he works with me).
>>
>> I will try to fit it in as it comes, best would be a weekend to give
>> everyone the chance to communicate and interact over the different
>> timezones with each other.
>>
>> I see different todos on this hackathon:
>> - review and apply current patches
>> - tag a release and prepare the release steps
>> - in-cooperate Mingfais ideas in our design
>> - start on leaving the incubator
>>
>> About the order I am not sure, but I think it makes sense to get a
>> release before we implement Mingfais concept. Further we should try to
>> leave the incubator since actually seeing this outcome for participation
>> demonstrate that we have grown a community (half a dozen) and our IP
>> clearance process should be nearly non existing.
>>
>> wdyt?
>>
>> [1] http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/
>>

> I head off to Amman in two weeks (8th) and will be there until the 22nd, when I get back
to the states. Weekends do work, just not the two I'm gone, and I can change my time some
to accommodate other people in the world.

> Given the number of patches I have out there, I'm obviously going to be a fan of reviewing
those. I did see some of Mingfais' Jira issues, any in particular you're talking about? I
think a release would be a great idea. What needs to be done for IP clearance?