From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Droids as a standalone service
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 14:49:18 GMT
On 03/02/2011 12:21 PM, Jeremy Arnold wrote:
[snip]
> I'm interested in having a standalone searching/crawling service so I
> can have 1 application hosting the searching and indexing used by many
> different custom apps. I would like to have the option to use Solr or
> elasticsearch for indexing/searching. I've been working with elastic
> search for the past few days and am growing very fond of the
> flexibility it provides. I'm also a sucker for JSON over HTTP
> services. I need to be able to start crawls for both a filesystem and
> webpages from within my custom webapp, or have the crawls run at
> scheduled times. Those crawls then need to be indexed. I also need to
> have the ability to integrate my own content handlers so I can specify
> how certain pieces of content are indexed (e.g., custom PDF metadata).
> I also need to be able to easily add or remove items in an index from
> within my custom app, as well as the obvious updating items in an

I use Droids for something similar to this. I'm going against Solr and
Derby to be able to quickly handle updates and a few other things. I am
also handling different content with different handlers.

[snip]
> acceptable counterpart to the existing droids-solr module. I would
> also like to take on the task of bringing a lot more consistency to
> the code base (e.g., commenting, code consistency). I'm just a bit
> concerned about taking on such a large task and submitting it as a
> patch. I also see a few places where testing would be beneficial and
> do not mind attacking that as well, I just don't want to waste time
> testing things that may be going away in the future.

I would suggest not doing it as a large task. Do it one or two classes
at a time. If you submit javadoc patches in small chunks, I can make
sure they get added in a reasonable time. Consistancy would also be a
good thing to do in small chunks.