From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new website proposal
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:21:33 GMT
On 06/11/2012 04:07 AM, Tobias Rübner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created a new site using the maven site plugin.
> You can see a preview on
>
> http://people.apache.org/~tobr/droids/
>
> You can build it on your own, using the latest scm version and calling
> the follwing commands from the droids root folder
>
> $mvn site:site site:stage
> $firefox target/staging/index.html
>
> I've seen that there was already an old site version using a new logo.
> Is this the valid Apache Droids logo?
>
> In the next step, I would like to add some examples to the documentation.
>
> So, what do you think?
> Could we use this as a replacement of the current website?
>

> Tobias

I like it. It would be nice to use as our new site.

It is missing a few items and a little bit of the wording needs to be
changed. We need a good first sentence, a security link needs to be
added under the ASF Links, and the trademarks need to be attributed to
the ASF in the footer. That's what I can see from the first run through.
The full guidelines are here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html

For the first sentence we could go with something like:

"The Apache Droids incubating crawling framework aims to be an
intelligent standalone robot framework that allows to create and extend
existing droids (robots)."

We also need to make sure that all ASF projects when first referenced on
a page have Apache in front of the project name. For example, on the
index page from your link above, it correctly uses Apache Tika for the
first reference for Tika, then just uses Tika from there. The 2nd
reference could be Apache Tika as well, but it doesn't need to be.

In our case, we'll also need incubating. So the first reference to this
project would be Apache Droids incubating.

In addition we need a disclaimer as it is in the Incubator. We're also
supposed to have their logo. The Incubator branding guidelines are here.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

I can go through and make some of the changes as I have time. Anyone
else can feel free to make the changes as well.

I see that you have added the correct headers to all of the new files.
That is excellent.