From Richard Frovarp <rfrov...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Name search
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2014 19:45:37 GMT
On 08/07/2014 07:46 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM, John D. Ament <john.d.ament@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, the first step is for you guys to tell me how you got to the name
>> "Droids."  I'm assuming it was established before the podling name search
>> came into existence.
> It started as a Labs project[1] and predates the name search.  It's
> hard to recall exactly but it feels like it also predates the
> popularization of "Android" as well.  I gather most folks think more
> of the Star Wars sense.
>
> Thanks,
> --tim
>
> [1] - http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/labs-labs/200702.mbox/%3C1170850642.8380.31.camel@localhost%3E

Thorsten named it, but I'm guessing you're right.

Since Android and the Droid line (mostly from Verizon and Motorola) came
out, more people are going to think it is Android related than not. What
do we need to do for the name search? Do we just abort and develop a new
name? Would that make life easier when it comes to this process?

Thanks for your help,
Richard