From "Martin Cooper" <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PhotArk's own web site (was Re: svn commit: r692741 - /incubator/photark/site/)
Date Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:18:25 GMT
On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 9:49 AM, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:

> Hi Luciano,
>
> I'm just catching up with my mail, I was away for the weekend.
>
> Luciano Resende wrote:
>
>> I was thinking on a simple page (generated from xml) just to get
>> started, to avoid waiting for confluence space creation. But if we can
>> get a confluence space ready soon, I think it's much easier to
>> maintain it in the long term. What do others think ?
>>

> I'm familiar with the XML/Anakia approach and like it.
> I'm also familiar with Maven site generation and hate it.
> I haven't tried Confluence yet. But I don't remember a
> wiki in the list of resources that we requested. There are
> two kinds of wiki available, Confluence and something else
> (MoinMoin?). I've only used "something else" so far.

You're correct in both that there are two different wikis available
(Confluence and MoinMoin), and that we didn't initially request a wiki.

There are also two different purposes for a wiki:

* As a regular wiki, where pretty much anyone can sign up and contribute.
This can be either Confluence or MoinMoin.

* As a site generation wiki, where all contributors must have an iCLA on
file. Only Confluence is supported for this, as far as I'm aware.

Some projects have two separate Confluence spaces, once for the web site and
one for "normal" wiki purposes (e.g. SLING and SLINGxSITE). Others have only
one or the other.

I don't think we need to decide right now whether or not we want a "normal"
wiki, although of course we can if we're ready to. The only caveat, I think,
would be that it would be rather odd if we chose a MoinMoin wiki and also
chose to have a Confluence-generated web site. ;-)

With respect to getting us set up, I can create Confluence spaces, although
I've never set up the auto-export necessary for site generation before. I
can probably also create a MoinMoin wiki. If we go with XML / Anakia, I
think we already have everything we need.

Really what it comes down to is how people want to edit the site -- via a
Confluence wiki interface or by editing XML files and building. Both work
just fine, and there are many examples of each at the ASF, so I don't think
we can go wrong either way. I don't know if there are any limitations on the
site imposed by using the Confluence approach, but people can look at the
various examples at the ASF to see what can be done. (Looking at
http://cwiki.apache.org/ any space that has 'xSITE' in it is a Confluence
auto-exported site, as is WW and a few others.)

--
Martin Cooper

In other words, I'll be fine with either XML or Confluence.