From Phillipe Ramalho <phillipe.rama...@gmail.com>
Subject [GSoC 2010] Project Proposal - Implement Search and Tagging Functionality
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 05:25:23 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm willing spend this summer contributing to an open source project, so I
decided to apply for GSoC (again) this year.

I went through PhotArk (ran and tested it) and I think it's lacking of a
search functionality. I think a search functionality would help users to
find photos more quickly, mainly when there are hundreds/thousands of photos
in their galleries.

My idea is to implement a search app, exposed as service using Apache
Tuscany, which will be responsible for indexing photo metadata and search
execution.

This service would be optionally (whether the user wants search
functionality or not) used by photoark service, so  every new album/photo
added to it would be pushed to the search service and it would take care of
indexing it properly.

The user could use the service to search using a query string and it would
return URLs to the photos contained in the results. Optionally with some
extra info, haven't thought about that yet.

I plan to use Apache Lucene for indexing and search, because it's open
source and I already have some experience on it.

Adding up to the search functionality, I would like to implement a tagging
functionality, which would allow the user to attach some text (tag) to its
photos, this way providing more data to search for. The tags would also be
indexed/stored in the search index.

Well, these are my first ideas, I hope I have given a clear idea what I'm
planning for PhotArk if I get accepted on GSoC program this year.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

--
Phillipe Ramalho