From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making PhotArk More Social
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2011 22:52:30 GMT
On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
>> <umashanthip@gmail.com>
>> >
>> > What is the back-end storage mechanism expected for the future releases?
>> Is
>> > it the JCR mechanism?
>> > I can have a look at it and come up with the storage structure of
>> activities
>> > etc.
>> >

>> As for the storage system, we currently use a JCR repository, but I
>> believe this is something we can discuss. If you think that a
>> different storage mechanism would work better with the relationships
>> and other requirements from open social, please start a new thread and
>> let's discuss this with the community. Personally, I've been working
>> with some noSQL databases, and think they can be another option for
>> us.
>>

> Sure. I'm not much familiar with the JCR repository. I'll first look into
> it and then will post my opinions.

I had a look at the JCR API, storage structure and the current usage of it
in PhotArk. I believe it well suits the idea I had about a flexible
mechanism to store the social related data. The concepts of parent node,
child node and properties of nodes can be utilized for easily storing the
social data. A simple structure is shown in the attached image.

I have a question regarding the JCR nodes. Is there any concept of
links/associations between nodes?(eg: creating a link kind of relation
between two nodes and retrieving a node's links). If there is such a feature
available, it can be used to handle the relationship mapping. i.e: if two
users are friends, a link between the two nodes representing those users can
be created and removed when removing relationship. I've come across a method
getSharedSet() [1] in the API. Does this provide such feature?  It would be
great if someone familiar with JCR can clarify this.

[1]
http://www.day.com/maven/jsr170/javadocs/jcr-2.0/javax/jcr/Node.html#getSharedSet()

Thanks,
~Umashanthi