From Subash Chaturanga <subash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Expected scope of "Adding Face Recognition to Photark" in GSoC 2011
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 19:13:33 GMT
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Subash Chaturanga <subashsdm@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Luciano,
> >
> > According to the thoughts I have shared before on the dev list regarding
> > this topic under the subject "How face recognition can be used to make
> > Photark gallery rich in details as well as in functionality", here's the
> > scope I would think.
> >
> > 1. Implement a Photark face recognition service module as a separate
> > package.
> >
> > 2. Implement the FaceRecognitionService class (in this case it recognizes
> > facebook friends for a given user) where it has the capability to train
> > given set of user IDs from face book  and recognize them in a given
> domain.
> >

> > 3.1 Provide back end support to add an option in gallery for each album,
> > view how many and the names of face book friends inside a given
> album(which
> > will be a pretty handy and kind of new feature for Photark).
> >
> > 3.2 Provide UI support for 3.1
> >
> > What are your suggestions (to add more option in the scope or change any
> > existing one) ? *such as* extending recognition to private name spaces or
> > Twitter or go with Twitter instead of Facebook.
> >
> > So I would like to know whether this is the expected scope or whether it
> may
> > not attainable in the GSoC period or it is less than the expected scope
> from
> > this project idea ?
> >
> > As I am already in the process of writing the proposal based on this,
> would
> > like to here your thoughts :-)
> >

> I'd clarify more on what does it mean to "implement face
> recognitions", what use cases you are tying to support. And then a
> high level time line for some milestones (e.g when you think 1, 2, 3
> etc will be ready) which will be useful for measuring progress during
> mid-term evaluation.

Hi Luciano,
Here I am mainly focusing on implement a facebook friend finder inside
photark albums or images using face recognition on user's face book friends.
 That is implemented in *FacebookFaceRecognition(2)* service which uses *
FaceRecognitionService(1)* service.

In the updated proposal I have focused on implementing a generic *
FaceRecognitionService* and then I am implementing this face book related
face recognition thing as an application of "face recognitions". And then
provide UI support to it.

Is this what you meant, specifying  *implement "1" , **implement "2" ? *
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 23rd 2011:(Students starts coding)

   - 1.5 weeks : Define the package structure and finalize the Face
    Recognition Service and FacebookFace Recognition interfaces and add them.
   - 3.5 weeks: implement  FaceRecognitionService component - * implement
   "1"*
   - 2 weeks : Test the  FaceRecognitionService for local album images.

July 11th 2011:(Mentors and students begin submitting mid-term evaluations)

   - 0.5 week : Do testing for the submission of mid-term evaluations

July 15th 2011:(Mid-term evaluations deadline)

   - 1 week: Implement FacebookFaceRecognition service component. -
*implement "2"
   *
   - 1 week: Add a gallery UI option to use FacebookFaceRecognition service.
   - 1 week: for final testing
   - 1 week: for documentation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this i am finishing *FaceRecognitionService * for mid term. *If
it is not sufficient I can reduce 2weeks of testing and start the
application implementation. *

Am I getting you correct Luciano ? or what you prefer is to add another
application(as I have only one application) ? Do you have another useful
face recognition application in your mind ? Then I can focus on that as well
in addition to the current one.

Thanks

--
Subash Chaturanga