From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Social API for PhotArk
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 03:12:13 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Avdhesh Yadav <avd@avdheshyadav.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
> umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > As part of the GSoC project on 'Adding Social Features to PhotArk' [0],
> > currently I am working on building a social API for PhotArk.
> > The purpose of this is to enable support for social features in the
> PhotArk
> > back-end and to enable persisting social data. As discussed in an earlier
> > thread [1], I am planning to build the API based on the Open Social data
> > specification 1.0 [2]. It has two parts: Primary Social Data[3] and
> > Additional Social Data[4]. Supporting the primary data is essential. I
> > would
> > like to know the thoughts of you about supporting the additional social
> > data, considering its usage in PhortArk.
> >
> Can you please explain a bit more what are additional social data

Additional Social Data objects are data objects that are contained within
other Social Data object. These do not stand alone.[0]
For eg:
The Person object has fields like name, address etc of type Name, Address.
The Name data object contains String type fields like firstname, lastname
etc and similarly the Address data object contains String fileds like
region, country etc.[1],[2]

> > In my opinion, it will be fine to use String data type for fields like
> > Address, Organization, Name (firstname & lastname) etc. Your valuable
> > thoughts are much appreciated.
> >
> Yes I think String data type for the above fields are fine.

+1. I also think the same since string type fields are enough to represent
social data in the context of PhotArk.

Anyone having different thoughts?

[0]
http://opensocial-resources.googlecode.com/svn/spec/1.0/Social-Data.xml#rfc.section.3