From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: REST integration for back-end functionality in photark-rest branch
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 06:49:27 GMT
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
<umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Sounds good, and I have couple little questions :
>>
>> What can be an activity ?
>>

> Activity can be any action of a user. eg: Adding a new album, tagging a
> photo, commenting on a photo, rating  etc.
> So, to make use of this concept of "activity", when a user performs such
> actions in PhotArk, they should be recorded as "activities" of that user.

Ok, so most of the time activities will be generated by the PhotArk
system when user interact with the application (e.g. new album, new
comment, etc)

>> What can be an AppData ?
>>

> AppData is actually any name-value pair data we want to store for a user.
> For eg if the user have done any configurations(i.e: property settings),
> those details can be saved as name-value pairs. I don't see any usage of
> this in PhotArk currently; but believe that this can be utilized in future.

+1

>> What's the scenario for updating a "activity" or "appdata"... just
>> curious as other places such as Twitter, Facebook seem to only allow
>> updates/delete and not really updates for some performance reasons.
>>

> Yes, true. But in the case of appdata, updating an appdata entry will be OK
> I guess.
>
> With respect to "activity" what I had in mind is updating a "comment" on a
> photo or something like that. But even that can be recorded as another
> "activity". So, the "update" might not be used considering performance
> issues as you said; but I added it to have a complete set of operations on
> "activity".
>
> Hope I have answered the questions you had.

Yes, all answered.

It seems that these are going to be most of the time used as read only
(at least for the scenarios we currently going to have).. this might
help simplify the rest api if needed.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende