From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Social Features in PhotArk UI
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:42:47 GMT
On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Subash Chaturanga <subashsdm@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
>> <umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
>> > technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
>> > dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need
>> more
>> > features we can get them from jQuery or some other library.
>>
>> What are the community thoughts about jQuery versus Dojo ? Should we
>> consider anything other then dojo for the UI on the REST branch ?
>>

> +1 for Dojo.
>
> When considering GWT over other well known js frameworks like JQuery or
> Dojo, people who are good at front end designing, most of them comfortable
> with having HTMLs to structure and style them with CSS(which is pretty clean
> and straightforward ). But in GWT we are kinda forced to use decent MVC and
> client-server design patterns which may have a bit of a learning curve for
> new developers.
>
> So in terms of migration to GWT in REST, we should consider the adaptability
> of it with our future PhotArk contributors. There is no such huge advantage
> of using GWT over Dojo except for java developers. But there are many
> developers who are from .NET, C++, PHP backgrounds. So such person might not
> interested in understanding GWT and contribute to us. And also, as Suho
> mentioned, we have the advantage of reusing front end codes straight away
> from trunk if we stick to Dojo.

+1 for continue to use a JavaScript framework. I believe that, if you
are doing a java application, use java, if you are doing a browser ui,
use the native capabilities of the browser (html, javascript, css)
which will give you the most flexibility.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende