From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: REST integration for back-end functionality in photark-rest branch
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 16:12:37 GMT
On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
<umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Devs,
>
> As you know I am working on adding social features to PhotArk in the rest
> branch.
> To proceed further with the implementation, I have to add the social
> features in the UI. When working on this, I came across the requirement of
> exposing the back-end functionalities as REST services. As you know,
> implementation in the trunk uses Apache Tuscany to integrate and expose the
> functionality as JSON-RPC. Similarly in the rest branch we have the
> requirement of exposing the back-end functionality as REST services. For
> this purpose, I looked into three options:
> (1) Apache Shindig [0]
> (2) Apache Tuscany [1]
> (3) Apache Wookie [2]
>
> As we have discussed earlier in the mailing list [3], Apache Shindig
> provides a reference implementation for the OpenSocial specification and
> provide JSON-RPC & REST APIs. But these APIs are only limited to the
> concepts/services in the OpenSocial specification and currently there seems
> to be no plans for extending further. So, using Apache Shindig, we can
> integrate the back-end social features as REST services; but it is only
> limited to this purpose. Since in the context of PhotArk, there are several
> other functionalities/concepts like Albums, etc, using Shindig will not
> cater for all the requirements.
>
> On the other hand, Apache Tuscany, can be used to expose the functionalities
> as REST services without any limitations and it's usage in the PhotArk trunk
> assures that it can satisfy all the requirements in PhotArk.
>
> Apaceh Wookie also provides REST API. But it is particularly designed to
> facilitate building widgets. Similar to Shindig, Wookie also has limited
> support for converting all the functionalities in PhotArk into REST
> services. Even though Wookie has the support for UI widgets, I do not see
> any plans to make PhotArk as a widget based application in the near future.
> So the REST integration facility provided by Wookie is limited in the
> context of PhotArk.
>
> After analyzing these three options, Apache Tuscany seems to be promising
> for me, to support all the requirements of PhotArk, related to exposing REST
> services.
>
> I kindly invite you all to proceed further with this discussion. Your
> valuable input to this discussion is highly appreciated.
>
> Looking forward to hear from you all.
>

> [0] http://shindig.apache.org/
> [1] http://tuscany.apache.org/
> [2] http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/
> [3]
> http://www.mail-archive.com/photark-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg01141.html
>
> Thanks,
> ~Umashanthi

I had the impression that the integration with Apache Shindig would
provide us much more benefits, but after some investigation I don't
believe that is true anymore. A REST interface based on Tuscany should
give us enough to build a solid social ui. Having said that, we might
look at the URI defined by Shindig/OpenSocial to see if we can follow
the same standard which would be beneficial for any future
integration.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende