From Subash Chaturanga <subash...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Social Features in PhotArk UI
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:34:22 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan
> <umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:
> > During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
> > technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
> > dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need
> more
> > features we can get them from jQuery or some other library.
>
> What are the community thoughts about jQuery versus Dojo ? Should we
> consider anything other then dojo for the UI on the REST branch ?

+1 for Dojo.

When considering GWT over other well known js frameworks like JQuery or
Dojo, people who are good at front end designing, most of them comfortable
with having HTMLs to structure and style them with CSS(which is pretty clean
and straightforward ). But in GWT we are kinda forced to use decent MVC and
client-server design patterns which may have a bit of a learning curve for
new developers.

So in terms of migration to GWT in REST, we should consider the adaptability
of it with our future PhotArk contributors. There is no such huge advantage
of using GWT over Dojo except for java developers. But there are many
developers who are from .NET, C++, PHP backgrounds. So such person might not
interested in understanding GWT and contribute to us. And also, as Suho
mentioned, we have the advantage of reusing front end codes straight away
from trunk if we stick to Dojo.

--
Subash Chaturanga
University of Moratuwa