From Umashanthi Pavalanathan <umashant...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Social Features in PhotArk UI
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 04:42:10 GMT
Hi devs,

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 12:57 AM, Umashanthi Pavalanathan <
umashanthip@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I have completed the second milestone of my GSoC project and now starting
> with the next task - "adding social features to PhotArk UI".
>
> For building the social capability in PhotArk, basically there should be
> the following UI functionalities:
> (1) User Profile - add/edit
> (2) Requesting friends, accept friend requests etc
> (3) Viewing list of friends
> (4) Listing user & friend activities
>
> Beyond this, there should be social features like 'likes',
> 'tags','comments','rating' etc in the photo album UI.
>
> I am working on the REST branch and there is no much UI support yet. I
> would like to know your thoughts about where (in which package) these basic
> UI functionalities should be added, which technology to be used for UI etc.
>  Once a reasonable decision is made regarding this, I will work on the
> UI mock-ups for these and discuss further here.

During an offline discussion with Luciano, we discussed about the UI
technology. Had two choices: dojo and jQuery; finally we decided to use
dojo, since it is being used in PhotArk UI already. In case if we need more
features we can get them from jQuery or some other library. Also since using
technologies like JSP might lead to wrong separation of concepts, we decided
to use AJAX technologies like these.

I have started working on the UI layout for handling user profiles and will
continue implementing it using HTML + dojo.

If you have any different thoughts, please feel free to discuss your ideas
here.

Thanks,
~Umashanthi