From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Community Future
Date Sun, 11 Nov 2012 22:12:04 GMT
Folks,

I feel that I have failed to explain the very large gap between the state
of this community and the requirements for success.

The Apache Board has asked the Incubator to make sure that podlings are
making progress towards graduation. This podling has been in existence for
a very long time, as podlings go. Unless there is a very big change, I
cannot see how you will graduate.

To graduate, you need to have, at least, a core group of people who are
active. That means a steady stream of discussion and code activity, all the
time.

As of now, unless something changes, I, personally, will be proposing the
retirement of this podling by the end of the year.

I want to emphasize that 'retirement' is not a horrible outcome. Due to the
wonders of the Apache License, any of you can take the code and do anything
with it. All of you collectively could take the code to github and continue
in your current fashion.

What you cannot do is continue like this indefinitely.

I'm very sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but this is the how the
incubator works. The incubator exists to bootstrap communities, not as an
indefinite home for projects.

I will be first in line to applaud if this situation changes and you all
construct a graduate-able community.

Regards,
benson