incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Gómez Ferro <danie...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: S4 Load Balancing Mechanism
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:35:20 GMT

On Thu Oct 11 05:52:01 2012, Frank Zheng wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to figure out the mechanism of load balancing in S4.
> In the paper and web site, it says ZooKeeper takes this
> responsibility, but the description is not very clear.
> I want to figure out that how ZooKeeper does load balancing.
> For example, if there are two working PE nodes, and 120 messages per
> second. The adapter distributes these messages evenly, 60 per PE node,
> right?
> When one PE node is added into the cluster, does it mean ZooKeeper
> balances the messages, 40 per PE node?
> And how does ZooKeeper decide which message to be distributed to which
> node?

Hi,

Currently load balancing is static. When you define your cluster you
specify the number of tasks (say, 2) which won't change for this
cluster. If you have more than 2 nodes, the rest will be backup nodes.
In case one of the serving nodes fails, a backup node will pick up the
orphaned task and start serving requests, but the load will always be
spread among the 2 tasks that you defined at the beginning.

Having dynamic load balancing would be really cool, but I don't know if
there are currently any efforts in that direction.