incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: S4 actor model
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:08:20 GMT
Hi,

S4 is inspired by the actor model: it is not a strict implementation,
but provides asynchronous event based processing, state encapsulation,
safe messaging and location transparency.

It also incorporates data partitioning, as in MapReduce.

AFAIK, MapReduce Online extends Hadoop with continuous micro batching
but still retains some blocking behaviour, disk I/O, and tradeoffs
coming from adapting a platform originally optimized for large batch
processing.

In contrast, the main objective of S4 is to provide a generic platform
for low latency data processing. You can define arbitrarily complex
graphs of PEs, everything is processed in memory, in a stateful manner
(if needed), and there is typically no disk I/O.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu