incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From kishore g <g.kish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: S4 Communication Layer using ZooKeeper
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2012 04:51:53 GMT
At a very high level, this is how cluster management works

Each s4 cluster has a name space reserved /clustername in zookeeper. There
is an initial setup process where one or many znodes are created under
/clustername/tasks. When nodes join the cluster they check if some one has
already claimed a task by looking at /clustername/process/, if not it grabs
the lock by creating an ephemeral node under /clustername/process/. If all
tasks are taken it becomes a standby node. When any active node dies, the
standby node gets notified and tries to grab the lock.

We can provide more details, if you can let us know which aspect of cluster
management mechanism you are interested in.

Thanks,
Kishore G