incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploying apps on a remote cluster
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 08:51:54 GMT
Hi,

some answers inline:

On Apr 3, 2014, at 16:43 , Magdalena Soyka <msoyka@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two questions regarding the deployment of apps on a remote cluster:
>
> I'm trying to deploy the HelloApp on an remote cluster but starting a
> node with with the option -zk=host starts a process locally. How can I
> tell S4 to start the node remotely?

You can't "start" s4 nodes remotely. You must start them by passing the zookeeper connection
string so they can bootstrap to a zookeeper cluster. How to start them is specific to your
setup and infrastructure, a basic way would be by scripting and using ssh.

> Then I switched to starting eveything remotely. Unfortunatly the remote
> cluster does not allow downloads (except wget) so I'm buiding the app
> locally and putting it up. But even prebuilding the app locally doesn't
> help because when I try to start the adapter it does the same.
> How can i avoid the gradle download?

Not sure what you mean by "gradle download". Normally you would package the app locally, then
make the package available somewhere. Easiest way is on a shared file system (like NFS) but
you can also make it available through http (static file serving). When deploying, you just
specify the location of the package and nodes will install the app automatically.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu