incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Abdelkader Lattab <alat...@qf.org.qa>
Subject RE: deploying apps on a remote cluster
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:54:18 GMT
Hi,
I have inherited a complex s4 application based on s4-0.5.  I am supposed to upgrade it to
0.6. Due to the poor documentation I am a bit mixed up. Are there  major changes between those
two versions. Please help as I have to evaluate the difficulties ahead.

KADER

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthieu Morel [mailto:mmorel@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 11:52 AM
To: s4-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: deploying apps on a remote cluster

Hi,

some answers inline:

On Apr 3, 2014, at 16:43 , Magdalena Soyka <msoyka@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have two questions regarding the deployment of apps on a remote cluster:
>
> I'm trying to deploy the HelloApp on an remote cluster but starting a
> node with with the option -zk=host starts a process locally. How can I
> tell S4 to start the node remotely?

You can't "start" s4 nodes remotely. You must start them by passing the zookeeper connection
string so they can bootstrap to a zookeeper cluster. How to start them is specific to your
setup and infrastructure, a basic way would be by scripting and using ssh.

> Then I switched to starting eveything remotely. Unfortunatly the
> remote cluster does not allow downloads (except wget) so I'm buiding
> the app locally and putting it up. But even prebuilding the app
> locally doesn't help because when I try to start the adapter it does the same.
> How can i avoid the gradle download?

Not sure what you mean by "gradle download". Normally you would package the app locally, then
make the package available somewhere. Easiest way is on a shared file system (like NFS) but
you can also make it available through http (static file serving). When deploying, you just
specify the location of the package and nodes will install the app automatically.

Hope this helps,

Matthieu

CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE:
This email and any attachments transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the use
of individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you have received this email in error,
please delete it immediately and inform the sender. Unless you are the intended recipient,
you may not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any attachments included. The
contents of the emails including any attachments may be subjected to copyrights law, In such
case the contents may not be copied, adapted, distributed or transmitted without the consent
of the copyright owner.