incubator-s4-user mailing list archives

From Matthieu Morel <mmo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploying apps on a remote cluster
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 12:21:27 GMT

On Apr 4, 2014, at 12:39 , Magdalena Soyka <msoyka@informatik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello Matthieu,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
>> Not sure what you mean by "gradle download". Normally you would package the app locally,
then make the package available somewhere. Easiest way is on a shared file system (like NFS)
but you can also make it available through http (static file serving). When deploying, you
just specify the location of the package and nodes will install the app automatically.

> to be more specific: I'm following the walkthrough everything from my
> local terminal with passing the zk host, which works fine.
>
> but invoking ./s4 adapter -zk=dbis64 -c=cluster2:cp
> starts the adapter process on my local machine instead of somewhere on
> my cluster. is that correct?

Yes, if you want the adapter to start somewhere else, say host B, you should execute the command
on host B.

> so I try to do this on my remote machine but then:
>
> ./s4 adapter -zk=dbis64 -c=cluster2
> Downloading http://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-1.4-bin.zip
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException:
> java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out

We haven't released a binary version of S4. That means you must, on each machine (unless you
use a shared file system), install gradle as specified in the readme file (https://github.com/apache/incubator-s4/blob/master/README.md)
, build S4 and tools, before you can actually run the commands.

Regards,

Matthieu